“Leave it all on the field”. It’s an expression you often here in sports. It means, give it everything you got! Do your very best. Don’t look back after the game and say, I could have played better.
In our professional lives, we should also have the mentality of leaving it all on the field. It’s not easy, but we need to do the best we can, one day at a time.
Here are three important reasons why we should give it our best at work.
- It calms worry and anxiety – Understand that we can’t control everything. We have limitations. This understanding brings a sense of ease and perspective. I remember a moment back in High School, taking the bus ride to an opposing football team. I was anxious on the ride, until I had a thought. The thought was, I’ll just do my best. After that thought, I felt calm, positive, and ready to play.
- You won’t have any regrets – Even if things don’t go well, we feel a strong sense of pride when we do our best. One of the biggest tragedies in life, is when people look back and say….what if? What if I did my best? What could have been?
- It’s the best thing you can do for your teammates – This may be the most important reason of all. It’s not just about you. It’s about the greater good of the team! Being your best is what helps your team the most.
Performing at our best doesn’t mean we have to work like maniacs, staying late and coming in at 5AM. Giving it our all means performing to our capability. This means following our gut and doing the right thing. Below are some examples of what it might mean to do our best:
- Doing something that inconveniences us, to help our colleague.
- Not being quick to react when something bothers us.
- Pausing before sending that scolding email, and realizing it’s better to take the high ground.
- Recognizing someone who is doing a great job, but has gone unnoticed.
- Giving others credit, instead of trying to make yourself look good.
- Having the courage to volunteer for a challenging task, that nobody else will take.
So, when you’re heading off to work in the morning, get your mind right. Even if you’re not happy with your current job, you can still be the best version of yourself. The best version of yourself is your true self.
Each day we are faced with challenges beyond our control. When you come home at night after a long day, I hope you can feel good knowing you gave it your all. Knowing you brought your true self, someone of high integrity, work ethic, and values.
I hope you feel good, knowing you left it all on the field.
For more content like this, subscribe to the MacIsaac Consulting Blog.
To contact us about our services, click here.